Thursday, November 20, 2008

What's good for me?

I was considering titling this "Feeling Hedonistic" because I've done quite a few nice things for myself this week, but I'm in such pain today I feel anything but hedonistic! :)

Back to the nice things: Monday after Boot Camp I went to a local beauty school and indulged in a facial and a back facial. One of my new neighbors is a student and gave me her card. It had been a LONG time since my last facial! I had forgotten how nice it felt to lay quietly and let someone pamper me. I think I actually relaxed so much I snored for a minute. Ooops! The back facial was nice, but not having any skin issues that needed tending on my back, it wound up being more like a very cleansing massage. In any case, it felt lovely. I was so relaxed I either fell asleep or entered some alternate consciousness.

Monday night hubby and I actually went on a date. We celebrated our 13th anniversary at The Melting Pot in Minneapolis. Fondue for two was very nice. The dinner took a lot longer than either of us had anticipated, but it was fun. I think we're going to invest in a fondue pot. Not sure if we can trust the girls to cook with pointy sticks....

Tuesday I saw my new chiropractor and had my shoulders worked on. Not exactly comfortable (active release on my supraspinatus muscle is PAINFUL!!!!) but necessary for my health. I also got my hair cut again. I'm really liking this short and sassy look. Takes no time at all to "style" and doesn't get messed up when I wear a winter hat. (Very important consideration this time of year.)

Wednesday was Boot Camp. Holy heck, was it Boot Camp! Our fearless leader had us do something that sounded like Ciabattas - nothing like the flat seasoned bread. These were intense exercise sets - 4 minute sets - 20 seconds of high intensity activity, 10 seconds of rest, 20 seconds high intensity, 10 rest - etc. to 4 minutes. Then a different type of exercise. Then the next 4 minute set. Somewhere in the middle I lost track of everything we did, but it started with rapid fire squats for a set, military crawl on elbows and toes across the gym and back, rapid fire pushups, military crawl, rapid military presses with a weighted bar, military crawl, then my brain melted and ran out of my ears. I vaguely remember doing high knees, mountain climbers, and bicycles; but it's mostly a haze of sweat, grunting, and "oh my God, no way I can continue!" I should have had a clue when our fearless leader told me that she was feeling sick from working out with the early class. I should have suddenly remembered that I had to wash my hair and run away. No such inspiration. I think I oozed out of the gym, because I'm sure I didn't have an iota of strength left at the end of class.

Today I am IN PAIN. Sitting hurts, standing hurts, stairs hurt. I tell myself it's a good pain, proves that I did something good for myself, but I'm having a hard time convincing myself. Someday I'll look back on this and smile, right?

Anyway, started the week being super nice to myself, finished it out by beating the heck out of my body. Well rounded week!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you should make the facial thing a weekly treat! BUT....reverse order. Kick your ass at boot camp THEN get pampered.

Forget snoring, you might just go full blown deep REM sleep.

November 21, 2008 at 9:25 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home